Energy Healing has always involved accessing energy or building up one’s own energy in order to pass it on to another. There are many different forms of Energy Healing. Some require many years of training and development. Many require strong focused consciousness in order to shift and move the energy.
Reiki (pronounced Ray – Ki), was discovered in 1922 by Dr. Mikao Usui, a Japanese Buddhist monk. He went on to develop the practice and pass it on to many students. Reiki is often translated as “Universal Life Energy”. Rei = Universal and Ki=Life Energy. However according to an article by William Rand “Rei, as it is used in Reiki, is more accurately interpreted to mean supernatural knowledge or spiritual consciousness. This is the wisdom that comes from God or the Higher Self. This is the God Consciousness which is all knowing. It understands each person completely. It knows the cause of all problems and difficulties and knows what to do to heal them. It is the God-consciousness called Rei that guides the life force called Ki in the practice we call Reiki. Therefore Reiki can be defined as “spiritually guided life force energy.”1
What can Reiki do for you?
Reiki is effective both as a preventative measure as well as a healing modality. Over the years Reiki has been used for many different conditions and for many different reasons including the alleviation of pain; the promotion of deep emotional release and healing; the acceleration of physical healing. It helps to bring peace to agitated minds, it promotes relaxation and balances the energy system.
Who can benefit from Reiki?
Because Reiki is gentle but powerful energy work, it can be effectively used on anyone, regardless of their age or their condition.
What to expect during a Reiki session?
The client relaxes fully clothed on the practitioner’s table. The practitioner will place their hands directly on the body in specific positions. The hands are placed gently on the body. As there is no pressure this is an ideal treatment for people of all ages and for all conditions. At times the hands are held away from the body. Reiki is an ‘intelligent’ energy and will flow exactly where it is needed. The sensation of Reiki experienced by the person on the table can vary quite considerably depending on the person, however, it is most often experienced as a warm or tingling sensation. Receiving Reiki is a very relaxing and soothing experience! The duration of the Reiki session can vary from 45—90 minutes.
Today Reiki has grown and developed into many different branches. Some teachers have added and adapted what they were originally taught and a new type of Reiki was born. However, in order for it to be Reiki they all have four things in common:
- The ability to perform Reiki comes from receiving an attunement, rather than developing the ability over time through the use of meditation or other exercises.
- All Reiki techniques are part of a lineage, meaning the technique has been passed from teacher to student through the attunement process, starting with the one who first channeled the technique.
- Reiki does not require that one guide the energy with the mind, as it is guided by the higher power that knows better than we do.
- Reiki can do no harm.
Reiki balances and works on four levels of existence; physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Reiki works on the cause rather than the effect of disease; treats the disease rather than the symptoms and accelerates healing (this may cause some initial discomfort as one heals at a faster rate).2
1 Rand, William, Reiki, The Healing Touch, First and Second Degree Manual.
2. Mitchell, Karyn, Reiki, A Torch in Daylight.
- Supports the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
- Vitalizes both body and soul.
- Re-establishes spiritual equilibrium and mental well-being
- Functions on all levels, whether mental or spiritual, bodily or emotional.
- Balances the body’s energies.
- Loosens up blocked energy and promotes a state of total relaxation.
- Cleanses the body of poisons.
- Adjusts itself according to the needs of the recipient.
- Works with animals and plants.
- Is an extremely pleasant, holistic method of healing.
- Can never do damage in any way, since it only flows in the quantities necessary for the recipient.
- Is channeled through the practitioner. Each person may experience the energy differently.
- Can be a pathway to deeper spirituality.
- Is like breathing. Once it is activated it is with you always, silently, gently and powerfully.
- Is a completely self-contained natural healing system. It is complete and whole in and of itself and yet it acts synergistically with all other types of healing.
- Is always available. Once one is attuned to it Reiki will always be available whenever you need it.
Reiki is not
- A dogma, a specific doctrine or belief. Nor is it a religion, a cult or a belief system.
- A form of mind control or hypnosis.
- Imagination or wishful thinking.
- Only for healing or when you are ill.
- Limited to only a select few.
- Dependent upon a certain state of mind.’
- Taught by just anyone nor is it taught like any other kinds of knowledge. You need a properly trained Reiki Master/Teacher to activate this energy through a precise attunement process.
Reiki cannot be learned through reading books.